Brightly colored laundry pods may look great but they can pose serious risk for young children. According to a study, colorful detergent pods are irresistible to young children but they are very toxic. Young children may mistake it for candy and can ingest it with disastrous consequences.
The study which was published in the journal Pediatrics evaluated the data from the National Poison Data System in the U.S. and finds laundry pods which are colorful single use packages of detergent poses an eminent poisoning risk for children. The risk is very serious and this has prompted the study authors to recommend those families who have kids less than 4 years to avoid buying these laundry pods altogether and use the conventional liquid or powder detergents.
The study found that 17,230 children under the age of six had some kind of harmful exposure to laundry detergent pods in 2012-2013.
Dr. Marcel Casavant, study author said, ‘These have bright colors, they have pretty patterns. When you feel them, they’re soft and squishy. If I were a child, it would look like the perfect item to put into my mouth. That’s about one an hour, many with vomiting, troubled breathing, and trouble staying awake. We found some skin injuries, some eye injuries, some burns to these children. A number of these children were having so much trouble breathing, they had to have a tube put into their windpipe and then be connected to a ventilator.”
Two thirds of the kids were one to two years old. 79.9% of the cases involved ingestion by the unsuspecting kids. These laundry pods are colorful and look very gaudy and attractive. They are also very soft and squishy to touch almost resembling candies prompting kids to put them in their mouth.
A change in the packing of the laundry pods by the manufacturing company led to a 25% fall in cases of exposure.