Friday, 02:20 P.M., two of the four children living at 114 Elm St., Troy, were found unresponsive. According to Dr. William Ginn, the Miami County Coroner, carbon monoxide leak was the cause of their state. It seems that the leak was caused by a furnace, owing to the fact that the gas did not burn completely.
The children lived with their grandmother, who was not home on Friday, being hospitalized with pneumonia. They were found by another relative who called 911. According to authorities, the unconscious children were transported to Upper Valley Medical Cente. Dionanna (14) and Dejay Bishop (13) passed away shortly after that. The third child, Jakia Jones (13) could not pull through and died on Sunday and it seems that the fourth child, Jahari, Jakia’s 8-year-old brother, is in critical condition at Dayton Children’s hospital. Fortunately, there may still be a chance for Jahari,who has shown signs of improvement. “It’s all an uphill battle with him, but he is showing signs, a lot of signs, of improvement. The most important thing to me is that he reacting to the stimulus — to us touching him, talking to him” Leon Bishop, the children’s uncle, declared.
The community of Troy offers great support to the family during this tragic event: “We are all shifting gears now to fight with Jahari — he needs everything we got left” (Leon Bishop). The community of Troy not only prayed for Jahari, but there has also been established a fund for donations at Wright-Patt Credit Union. The money will go to the funeral expenses for the girls. Moreover, vouchers will be provided to families and individuals that do not have a carbon monoxide detector at home. It is impressive how the community gathered and stood up for the Bishop family. “I love it. I love it. It shouldn’t take a tragedy for something like this to happen, but just the same, I love it. And I’m thankful for being in a community like this”, Bishop said.
Jean Bishop, the children’s grandmother, who had been hospitalized for what was thought to be pneumonia, is now being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Image Source: Daily Mail