Acne affects millions of people, young and old, everywhere. It can damage the self-esteem and cause a lot of psychological damage. According to a recent report, approximately 85% of the population have had a case of acne at least once in their life. Adolescents are the most affected by this condition, leaving behind scars that can heal very hard. Reports revealed that almost 40% of teenagers suffer from acne scars.
There are not many effective treatments available at the moment. Some of these treatments include microdermabrasion and laser resurfacing, among others.
Recently, FDA approved a new acne treatment called Bellafil, which is a technique of acne scar removal invented by a drug company called Suneva Medical Inc, from San Diego.
The new acne treatment called Bellafil is a gel that can be injected in the skin, increasing its mass and elevates it to its immediate surroundings. This process helps remove the acne scar and smooth the skin.
FDA approved this new acne treatment called Bellafil after 6 months of rigorous testing. The treatment was tested on 87 patients and about 67% showed improved skin conditions, compared to the other 33% who were given a placebo treatment.
After testing the new treatment for six months, the results improved to 84%. The patients who tested the new Bellafil treatment said they were either “very satisfied”, “satisfied” and some said the treatment was “somewhat satisfying”. Of the patients who were given the placebo treatments, only 52% said they found it satisfying.
Also, after six months of treatment, the researchers asked the doctors’ opinion, who did not know which of the patients had treated with Bellafil, and which with placebo. 84% of the doctors said they found the patients’ condition “improved” and “much improved”, compared to only 54% of those who were given a placebo.
Dr. Jeffrey Salomon, who works at Yale University School of Medicine as an assistant clinical professor of plastic surgery, said the new acne treatment called Bellafil is considered a cosmetic procedure, which is not covered by insurance.
One injection with Bellafil costs approximately a thousand dollars and it requires multiple sessions.
Image Source: nydailynews